12 May 2009

Temporary Decoration

It would be silly of us to write a decorating blog targeted at the younger set and not address the question almost everyone is likely to need answering: how do I go about decorating a sublet?

If you're anything like me (and if you're reading this, then I can only assume you are), it's an extremely difficult task to face an empty room and not immediately start planning on how to decorate it. But when that room is only yours for a few months, at some point it's a waste of your time and money to put too much of an effort into it. So, how do we strike a balance?

Well, here's how I worked it out with the room I just moved into that has quite the New York City dimensions:
1. It can be tempting to immediately bring a bunch of art and posters to cover up the inevitable ugly white walls, but that's a waste of precious packing space. Bring a few, small favorites and include a calender (it's art that changes every month!) and leave the rest of the decorating for things you pick up throughout your stay. I've already added a few postcards and posters I got for free from events and stores, which I'll probably just throw out when I move again.

2. Yeah, stuffed animals. I packed those, and I included them in a sublet decorating guide. I find them very important to keep around. These are some much beloved handmade robots that have fuzzy feelings and memories attached to them, which can be a comfort to have when you're in a new place. And, if you get overwhelmed or lonely, you'll always have a hug.

3. I have two nice window ledges, but no room for, well, pretty much anything else besides a bed in my room. Therefore this one became my desk and coffee table, and the other was turned into my powder room. Also, it's clearly important to bring along some reading and notebooks to record your adventures in.

4. If your room is spatially challenged, creative underbed storage is a necessity. Behold: under this bed, I have a big suitcase that I brought all my clothes in, packed with a small suitcase, packed with a duffel bag for weekend travel, packed with extra toiletries and the like that I'm storing for later. Next to that is a box stuffed with a sleeping bag for guests. That's a twin bed that's now storing instruments for moving out (lessening the hassle), essentially a closet, and the necessities for both being and having a guest.

5. A nightstand is essential for eliminating clutter and creating some extra space. If the room doesn't already have one and you don't want to splurge at the moment, pick up (or likely dig out from the closet) a little folding card table that is a cinch to pack. Besides holding your iHome, it's a place to keep all those little odds and ends. And, whether it has a drawer or just a space underneath, you can slide a box of even more odds and ends in there and it'll look perfectly in place.

6. This last bit is just a little reminder. I find it necessary to bring my own bedding when I'll be staying somewhere else for more than a few nights (and, even so, I at least bring my pillow). It immediately makes you feel more at home and not like you're temporarily passing through. And, that way you know for sure your bed will be comfortable. What's really more important than that?

A few other quick tips that didn't fit in the photo:

-a tall standing lamp immediately makes the room more interesting by creating different levels, and guarantees you'll have enough light (because you never know).
-those little sticky hooks that press on to the wall are life-savers. Buy two or three to put on the back of your door and there you have it, an extra closet for your towel, jacket, bags, whatever.
-since it is just a short-term deal, don't be afraid of using cheapo shortcuts. For example, I was faced with the challenge of fitting my whole wardrobe in a closet (a task I've never experienced before), and ending up running out of space to put my underwear. The solution? A large paper bag on the floor of the closet. Is it classy? Absolutely not. But it gets the job done.
-a side note on closets: I don't know what I'd do without one of those shoe racks that hangs from the rod in your closet. I got one from Bed, Bath and Beyond that has pockets along the side. I put my shoes (two to a pocket), small bags, scarves and belts in the pockets, and then filled up the side pockets with my hair styling products, face washes, lotions and medicine cabinet.
-besides the fact that I feel a bit lost without a full-length mirror, I've read time and time again that a mirror does wonders for opening up a room.

No comments:

Post a Comment