07 July 2009

Summer Smoothies

Today, as I was pouring yet another glass of water to try to stay hydrated through the summer heat, I realized that I didn't have to torture myself any longer. I remembered that I have a blender & fruit. I remembered that I can make smoothies.

As silly as this sounds, I think that most of us tend to reach for the things that are readily available like water, juice, or any other drink lying around the house. Usually, unless you're unusually health conscious, these drinks are full of sugar & artificial things (or just plain boring). Depending, of course, on what you put in them, smoothies are a tasty & healthy alternative. Here's how to make your own! :)

I didn't go out & buy things specifically for my smoothies, I just used things that were already in my kitchen & pantry, so keep that in mind. Typically, smoothies contain fruit, some kind of dairy, & juice. They can have other things, however, like ice, honey, ice cream, or even instant chocolate milk powder.

After looking around my kitchen, I find the following for my smoothies: one banana, one can of pineapple chunks in natural juices, one container of light raspberry yogurt, & a container of sugar free pomegranate juice. I combine all in a blender, with the exception of only using 1/3-1/2 cup of the juice.

I taste it, but it's not quite right. I add four ice cubes & two scoops of light peach ice cream & blend again. Perfect. (Remember to put the smoothies in the fridge to keep them nice & cold.)

I encourage everyone to raid their kitchens and make smoothies. They're particularly good for slightly overripe fruit that you might not want to eat on their own anymore. All you have to do is pick some of your favorite fruits (almost any fruit goes with another) and other things that you like. If you're nervous, search here for a few more recipes. But don't be afraid to experiment!

No comments:

Post a Comment