15 June 2009

Decorating for Less... Way Less

Recently, I've been seriously thinking about how I want my new room to look & what I'd like to put in it. I've gone through several floor plans, but I still wasn't sure exactly how to get everything I needed on a tight budget. I considered various options (mostly including Target and IKEA), but I knew that even their prices might push me too far.

I know that there must be others like me, so I thought I'd share my solutions.

1. Do It Yourself.
Instead of buying things already made, take the time to do it yourself. Not only is this usually a cheaper & more satisfying route, but it is also a way to ensure you get exactly what you want. For example, I found an interesting picture frame consisting of four different black frames glued together at Target. It would be perfect for my room, but I thought that it would be a fun (& cheaper) project to do myself. I'm also considering sewing my own duvet cover & curtains as well. Obviously these projects take a bit more time than driving to a store & laying out the cash, but they'll be well worth it.

2. Yard Sales.
They're not always a guarantee, but if you plan ahead & wake up early, you might be able to grab a few deals. I tried for the first time this past Saturday & despite the fact that I didn't have much time, I still managed to find a few things. A large picnic basket for my sewing supplies & a single serve George Foreman grill, each for two dollars. I used Craigslist's Garage & Moving Sales section with Google Maps to help plan my route. You can also check out your local paper's classified sections.

3. Freecycle.
A few days ago, I was encouraged to check out the Freecycle groups on Yahoo! Groups. The groups are created by area and are a way to find things you need or give things you don't need away for free. The Freecycle mission statement:
"Our mission is to build a worldwide gifting movement that reduces waste, saves precious resources & eases the burden on our landfills while enabling our members to benefit from the strength of a larger community." I ended up joining three in my area & on the very same day, I found a bedroom set. I only ended up taking a dresser & mirror, but both are real wood & will look incredible after a bit of fixing up. I've also seen offers for things like televisions, DVD players, & other useful items.

4. eBay.
I know that I've mentioned eBay before, but it really is a great way to decorate (or find just about anything). I want to fill my room with red votive candle holders next fall & eBay has plenty of deals. Make sure to check here for things you might need before splurging, especially if you need to buy several of something.

5. Craigslist.
Many people post things that they'd like to sell on Craigslist. Even though they're not free like Freecycle, it's definitely worth a look.

6. RetailMeNot.com.
If you're set on purchasing something from a store, however, make sure to check out this website. It's full of coupons, offers, & promotions that will help your wallet.

Good luck & happy hunting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment